This is my absolute favourite gingerbread recipe. It’s easy to make and it has the great spice flavour without being too spicy.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until well blended.
- In a large bowl beat butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed until well blended using an electric or Kitchenmaid mixer.
- Add molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to mix until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients into the large bowl gradually until blended and smooth.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours. (Dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, but in this case it should be refrigerated. Return to room temp before using.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin.
- Roll dough ahout 1/4-inch thick.
- Use additional flour to avoid sticking.
- Cut out cookies with desired cutter.
- Place the cookies on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing them 1 1/2-inches apart.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes (the lower time will give you softer cookies.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to stand until the cookies are firm enough to move to a wire rack.
- After cookies are cool decorate them any way you like or leave them as is.